Thursday, February 12, 2009

happy valentines day wishes...

Man am I tired...

These last few days have been a blur of busy-ness!
(this post start on the 12th, finished on 13th)


Yesterday we started off having playgroup over at our friend Jeffery's house. It was a very small group just Hunt, Jeffery and Vincent. Peter had school and Shaun and Erin's mommy had to work. Gabe and Jaden weren't able to attend either. Never the less the 3 boys had a good time.

Also yesterday, Hunt and I finished up the Valentine cards and treats for today's party. I decided on some precious little owl Valentines. I thought they were cute and a little different than just the usual hearts or store bought cards. I've posted photos below of some. See the sweet owl face on the front and our knock knock joke on the back. I came up with it yesterday while we were gluing. Pretty good I thought. And of course when I went to print copies of the joke I remembered that we are out of ink...just great! So I sat down and wrote them ALL out.
I cut the craft paper and construction paper out for the owls and had Hunt glue on the eyes and beaks to the heart face. Then the heart face to the owl body. I even designed envelopes to put them in. We'll include a red heart lollipop inside the envelope with the card.





The envelopes I made.

Look at all those Valentines!

I ventured into making these cute Peppermint Hearts yesterday afternoon. We shared them with friends at the Valentine party. They seemed pretty easy to make so I thought what the heck! And they were! Really easy to make and cut out with a cookie cutter. It consisted of confection sugar, peppermint essence, and an egg white. Then added a little lemon juice and red food coloring to make the hearts a pink tint. They tasted yummy and reminded me of after dinner mints. So, I'll be making them again for sure! If I get time today, I'm planning on making more and putting them in little clear bags for Valentine gifts for a few lucky people. HOPEFULLY!


Along with the peppermint hearts, I made some lemon scones. I've never made scones before and thought they may be a refreshing treat today for the party. I was thinking with a little added Bonne Maman(sp?) blackberry preserves it might just hit the spot! Well, last night's sampling was not bad, but this morning when I tried another they were kinda blah. Not very flavorful even with the preserves. I added some powdered sugar to the tops to see if it would help. And it sort of did, but I decided they still weren't that great...they stayed home. Look how they turned out though...Cute, but not so tasty. Maybe I'll give it another try either with blueberries or maybe even another recipe.



And in celebration of Valentines I made Hunt up a Valentine shirt last night. I purchased a red shirt and used felt to construct an owl just the same as our Valentine cards and sewed it on. Too cute and luckily didn't take a lot of time. Here's how it turned out...



Oh yeah... because I have all the time in the world(ha ha ha), I put together a little mail type Valentine bag for Hunt to deliver his cards in. I used red felt and sewed it up. Didn't get a chance to add any embellishments, but it was sweet to see him carrying it! He did however tell me today that..."I don't want to be a mail man". I guess that's because I told him I would be making him a bag to carry his valentines in, like a mail man's. At least he wore it for a short time while he passed out the valentines.



Today we had the Valentine Party at the Watauga Recreation Center. There was a sea of reds and pinks wore by the children in honor of the holiday. And everyone was in good moods! All the kids decorated a Valentine bag and colored some Valentine pictures. We enjoyed some snacks and visited with our friends. Rebecca greeted Hunt as usual with hugs and big smiles! After the crafts and coloring were done and snacks were devoured, the Valentine bags were set up. Every child got in a line and walked down the bag row filling each with their Valentine wishes and treats. When all the Valentines were handed out and bags were collected we made our way outside to the playground to run off some energy. Hunt was so excited and couldn't wait. He kept asking all morning over and over again to go outside and play. Finally the time had come and off he went. Rebecca picked him a dandelion bouquet and even colored him a butterfly picture. Oh young love! It really was sweet.
As soon as we made our way back home Hunt wanted(no, pretty much demanded) to open his Valentine bag. He dumped them on the floor and sorted through them. he looked like a pirate sifting through his treasure! How fun to see all the different types of Valentine cards.
Slide show below of the Valentine party!




Well I reckon I'll git for now...gotta go tidy up and do finishing touches on some stuff.

Happy Friday the 13th!!!

Talk at ya'll later...

No comments: