Monday, March 17, 2008

sneaking about...

Happy St. Patty's Day to you all! Hope everyone wore their green so that you got by passed by the pincher's. It was a pretty decent day around here today. Nothing special to report really. I did decide to start a small segment on my blog called..."Ask My 3 Year Old". I will post a question/questions that I randomly pick, out of the air, that I asked Hunt my 3 year old. The questions that I will ask him will be ones that he may or may not know the CORRECT answer to. Most of which he would not even begin to know. I just thought it would be neat and I'm sure funny to see what he comes up with. Today's question...

Ask My 3 Year Old...
(in accordance to Saint. Patrick's Day)
What is St. Patrick's Day?
Hunt: "Pak-es-trey(St.Patrick's Day) is a dinosaur.
What is a leprechaun?
Hunt: Kinda like a dragon, a purple dragon.

I guess his version of the words Saint Patrick's Day (pak-es-trey) does sound similar to a dinosaur name.

I also want to share a little secret with everyone. A few of my good friend know what I've been doing to my family, but to the rest of you, you haven't got a clue. I'm hesitant...well here it is...I've been sneaking around. Not the sneaking around that you may think. God I'm not like that! I've been sneaking around and adding extra veggies and fruit to our usually unhealthy-ish meals. Yep I know I'm horrible. But hey, what ever it takes to at least get us to eat a little healthier and get more vitamins in our bodies. I have two cook books that I have been tinkering with. The recipes use everyday kid/family type foods and all you do is add a puree to them. I hear some of you now eeeeewwwww! I know it may sound nasty, but so far we have had good luck with the ones we've tried. You can't even taste the weird items that was added. Hubs and Hunt of course don't know about my little undercover operation(hush, hush). If I mentioned it to hubs he would already have it in his mind that the dish has something "good" for you in it (re:a odd veggie) and nose would be turned up in the air. So what they don't know won't hurt them. It will only help us all. So far we've tried a couple different spaghetti/marinara/pizza sauces(using carrot puree), one of a few mac and cheese recipes(using cauliflower and zucchini puree), mashed potatoes(with cauliflower puree), rice crispies(using brown rice crispy cereal), brownies(using zucchini), french toast(banana and sweet potato purees), turkey meat ball(this one has to be better using turkey instead of beef),blueberry lemon poppy seed muffins(using fresh blue berries(whole)and yellow squash puree). Most of the recipes are made using a veggie or fruit puree added to it. You pre-steam and puree them and put in fridge to be used in a few days or freeze to use at a later date. You purchase the fruits and veggies fresh or frozen or I've even bought some baby food veggies to use to. I plan on trying many more. Some other that I have on our menu at some point are Boca Burger chili, rice balls, chicken tenders, mac and cheese 1, mac and cheese 2, pancakes, grilled cheese sandwiches...etc, etc...all using purees. I'll keep you posted...
Tomorrow is a trial art class and later in the day we have to make a run to the prosthetics place. This means no nap time...yey for me...

No comments: