Monday, March 22, 2010

a Hill Country trip and some spring activities...


~March 24, 2010~

Well Hello Spring!!!

Glad to see that you made it around here again.

Please stick around for a while so that we may enjoy your beauty. Your warmer winds and sunny skies. To hear the laughter of children playing puts a big smile on my face and adds joy to my heart.

::And now for some catching up...
{what we have here is a long post}

On Wednesday the 17th my babes dressed up in their green! After all, my mother's madden name was McGee, so we are a bit Irish!!! I know I posted a photo of them on St.Pat's Day, but here are a few more.

My two Leprechauns!

I made Hunt his shirt and Em her shirt, pants and this cute bow.

Hunt showing off his cowboy figure that he got for being good all week at school.

And a little leprechaun left Hunt a mini glass jar filled with clovers for St. Patricks day!

This past weekend the four of us took a long weekend trip to the Hill Country. We left Thursday and returned Sunday. Sort of a mini vacation to see how Miss E would do. It was Em's first time away from home for the night and in a hotel! She did pretty good though. We stayed in Kerrville and had a room with 2 beds, so the boys took one and the girls took the other. While we were there we went through the fabulous shops in Fredericksburg, drove through the country spotting white tail deer, axis deer, hogs and whatever else we came across. We took a drive through the Kerr Wildlife Management Area.
I have to say that Fredericksburg is more enjoyable without children, but I did manage to pick up a few goodies. Hunt was acting like a toot Friday while we were shopping...ugh! Here are some goodies that we purchased...

Nothing special, but I have been wanting to get one for Hunt to use when he helps me in the kitchen.

Some paper doll fabric and a rooster paper towel holder.

A mouse baby for Em, 2 Texas hankies and Hunt a camo hunting belt.

Two more kid hankies, 5 more Peru finger puppets to add to our collection(Love these!), a butterfly life cycle set and a frog life cycle set(Love these sets to).

I'm so mad at myself though, I could just kick my booty! Most of the time we were there I either forgot to take photos, or simply just forgot the camera in the hotel room all together! Bad Mama!!! So you won't get to see the coyote carcasses or the catfish heads that adorned the fences. Or the boots for that matter. Oh well, life goes on! What is the deal with that? I know I have seen both coyotes and fish heads on fences before, several times, but really, what is the deal? Gross if you ask me! Something new that we saw, and not once, but twice, were two fences(in totally different areas and towns) that had cowboy boots on the posts. They were lined up down the fence row, turned upside down...not just one or two, but MANY! Kind of strange, but cute. Now that I would have liked a photo of. It sure beats the fish heads and coyotes we saw.
And of course we saw our share of dead deer, hogs and skunks along the road sides as well.
...Ok I know enough with the grossness!
Along with spring comes the blooming of the Bluebonnets. And we saw them to. They peek in April, but there were several scattered along the little highways. I'm sure with all this rain and snow that we've had they will be fantastic this year. Willow City Loop is sure to be awesome! We passed by it as we were heading home, but didn't take the drive through it. I was wanting to though. Just to see how the flowers are coming in so far...but hubs isn't much on stopping, especially just to see wildflowers or just to snap a photo or two. Nope, he doesn't like to stop once we are on the road unless we HAVE to! What is it about men and driving? Is it that they like to see how quickly they can get from point A to point B? I mean come on! Why in a rush ALL the time?!!!



So, I heard we missed another batch of snow?! The first of spring=snow???what?...is this Texas or what?...we weren't home to enjoy it...too bad! It was cold in the hill country on Sat and Sun though. It even rained and we had some heavy winds Friday night...but no snow. We fought the wind the entire way back home...so much for any type of gas mileage!


Hill Country sign.

I metal totem type statue in Fredericksburg.

This is the view out our window. A cute water fall by the pool area. You can't tell, but the pool and surrounding rock is shaped like a Texas and the hot tub like a star.

I love this fish pond.


In the Lone Star Candy shop.


My two knuckle heads getting ready for pjs and bed.


Goobers relaxing on the hotel bed.

Wow, it's been great weather Monday, Tuesday and today... huh? But it is suppose to rain later on today and tomorrow from what I hear.


Monday afternoon we went for a walk and came back and played sidewalk chalk in the driveway.
Yesterday the kiddos and I meet one of Hunt's class friends and his mom and little brother at the library for storytime. It was all about spring! So appropriate for this super weather!
Later after lunch and naps we headed outside again to let the stink blow off of us!HA! It was too nice not to be outdoors! I decided it was a perfect time to have Hunt do his bird feeders and bird nest bag...oh and a little flower planting. Then some tractor playing, cow tipping...kidding!, and side walk chalk again like yesterday. Miss Em sat most of the time in the Bumbo and watched us or chewed on her toys and taggy square.
The bird feeder was a pinecone that Hunt spread peanut butter on and covered with bird seed. Just a little treat for our area birds. We made 2 and hung one by his window on a crapemurtle(sp?) and the other on another bush(low enough for Hunt to keep an eye on).



The bird nest bag was also hung on the bush so that little eyes can see. The idea is that birds come and pull the pieces of cotton, yarn, ribbon and rafia out of the bag and use it to help make their nests. And since we used many colors, maybe the nests will be beautiful too! And easy to spot! So we will see...


Then Hunt helped to plant some snapdragons, marigolds and dusty millers in a pot out front. He did a great job!




And here's Hunt trying to start a fire with his sticks and rocks. He saw this on some movie he watched(can't remember where, maybe Ice Age). It was a good try, even though it wasn't going to happen.



When we came inside I noticed that Hunt's jeans now have a hole in one knee and another one starting in the other one. He told me that the teachers told him that it was cool to have holes in your pants! Ummmm, ok. Maybe if they're suppose to be there and not from playing rough outside.


I'll be posting about some other spring things we will be doing soon to. We have Easter eggs to dye and a visit to see Mr Easter Bunny to.

Not that I'm keeping track(HA!), but...about 5 weeks until vaca!!!

1 comment:

Hog Hunting Texas said...

Very cute post full of cute babies. I think you are having fun over there.