Monday, March 9, 2009

getting ready for Spring...

So is everyone getting a little accustom to the time change yet?

Daddy is working first shift for a while so for him to have to get up early is a big change, not to mention having a time change on top of that.

Our past weekend was a nice one. We celebrated daddy's birthday on Saturday. The old man is another year older...(ahem)! Hahaha!

Hunt painting daddy a birthday card

Hunt and I made a guitar pen and pencil holder. We bought it at Michael's unfinished and decided to do some painting on it and decoupage. It turned out really cute, but I can't seem to get Hunt to leave it alone. He's always picking it up and strumming it like a real guitar. Of course since we made it, I'm not sure how well it will hold up. So I kindly ask him to put it down...and that it's just to hold pencils and to look at. He's not convinced that it isn't for a jam session!


We also got daddy a book. The title is Long Rifle . It has to do with a sniper over seas in Iraq and Afghanistan. Right up daddy's alley. He loves military books. Also there was a guitar game that he wanted, but it's not released yet. So I told him that when it comes out we'll go get it.

Daddy holding up his birthday card from Hunt.

Hugs!

Not sure what Hunt is doing in this photo.

Helping daddy open up his present.


We had lunch at Red Robin..yummy...Saturday! Have you ever tried their Campfire sauce? Oh man how I love it! I'm so picky at eating sauce and I don't like mayo or mustard or even salad dressings. But this sauce...ohhhh boy! I do LOVE it! We were told by a waiter a while back that it was bar b que sauce and mayo mixed together. I'm scared to try to recreate it at home. So if anyone out there has ever heard of the "true" recipe for it...forward it on PLEASE!!!
For dinner daddy wanted to go to Sweetie Pie's and have some beef. Which was fine with me. It's probably the best steaks that we've found in a long time. You have to make a drive out to Decatur, but they are worth it. And don't forget if you go to get a slice of their pecan pie. Ken and Kel went to dinner with us.
We took some of the cake pops that Hunt and I made to enjoy after dinner. Everyone thought they were good, but I thought they could have been better. I think it was due to the fact that the icing I used to mix with the cake was a whipped type and not a simple frosting. They turned out kinda cut. I didn't have a cookie cutter that was needed to shape the cupcake shape. I had to shape them by hand.

Hunt helping make cakepops...







They kind of looked like mini cupcakes.

Of course Hunt had to try one! Look at that mouth...



After dinner, and since we were half way there, we decided to run up to the lake house. The lake was really down. We all could use some rain I know. With it being this low we won't be able to use the boat ramp at the lake house. We'll have to drive it around and launch it at a public ramp on the lake. Sort of a hassle.
But being there at the lake did make me miss the boat and I decided to start a count down until boating season. We usually get it out in May, so that means it's something like 53 days...yay!!! I'll be ready to throw on a swim suit and spend the weekends there. I'm sure we'll go up again before May. We'll need to do some cleaning up and mowing soon. Awww...those fun summer days!!!

Sunday was spent here at home. Although we did take a trip to Lowe's. I love Spring. And getting ready for it is nice. We needed grass seed and fertilizer. And I wanted to get some stuff for the garden and flower beds. We should have brought the truck...we came back with fencing and t-posts as well as bags of soil, seed, fertilizer, bird feed, flowers, plants, garden tools and other odds and ends. Hunt even got his own little person rake, hoe, shovel and trowel.

Today Hunt and I cleaned out the front flower bed and planted some flowers as well as the peony bulb and poppy seeds. Peonies and poppies are my favorite! I hope at least one comes up, but I'm not holding my breath on it.
Hunt was fascinated with the snails and grub worms. I took a few photos...






I guess that wraps up the past few days for us.
Have a good evening and we'll talk at you later...

No comments: